Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Great State Fair of Texas!

It's tradition. It's one place I use to love going to as a child, and where I still love going to and taking my girls now.


Funnel cakes,

Funny looking animals

Games and prizes




Sweet sweet smiles


Lots of laughter




And of course Big Tex and Fletchers corny dogs :)

Every year the fair has something crazy they fry up and everyone has to try it. Last year was chicken fried bacon....eeeewwww. This year's big item was fried beer....double eeewwww! Aaron and I walked over to purchase some deep fried waffle balls (lol) and a man was eating the fried beer, and we asked how it was and he let us try one. It was the grossest thing I ever put in my mouth! It was like a deep fried ravioli with beer inside. But, in saying that, it was the experience that was great, not the nasty tasting fried beer thingy.
I love everything about the fair and getting ready to go and walking in those gates and seeing all the same familiar things from my childhood, makes me feel like a kid again. As a kid, the last thing we would do was stop at the salt water taffy shop and my dad would buy us a big box of assorted flavors....walnut being my favorite!
Another tradition I still keep is the Fletchers corn dog and a nutty caramel apple! I cannot leave the fair grounds until I have had both! For my girls, it's the cotton candy. If you have never been, you should check it out next year. It never disappoints and is always a great time!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I LOVE going to our annual fair.

I have been going to the Washington State Fair since I was in 3rd grade. I don't think I've missed a year in 40 years. Even when I moved 300+ miles away, I would always drive back for the fair. Now, we live 150+ miles away, but we take all of our children EVERY year. Wouldn't miss it!!!

We each have our very favorite Fair Food.

Oh how I love those caramel apples!

Little Kids love the cotton candy!

Big Kids love the Elephant Ears!

Thanks for the memories!!!